Negaunee Public Schools
January 17, 2005
Minutes of the Regular Meeting of the Board of Education, Negaunee Public Schools, City of Negaunee, County of Marquette, and State of Michigan, held January 17, 2005, at the Negaunee High School Library, starting at 7:00 p.m.
Members Present: Fae Collins, Dan Hintsala, Osmond T. Kemp, Virginia Paulson,
Martin Renaldi, Dave Rice, and Martin Saari
Members Absent: None
James Derocher, Superintendent
Bob Bonetti, High School Principal
Paulette Patron, Lakeview School Principal and Special Education Coordinator
Mary Kay Johnson, Administrative Aide for Finance
Julie Dompierre, Recording Secretary
Others Present: Diane Faust
112. The meeting was called to order by President Fae Collins at 7:00 p.m.
113. A quorum of the board was established.
114. Motion by M. Saari, supported by O. Kemp, to approve the agenda as presented. Motion carried 7-0.
115. Public Comment - None
116. Motion by V. Paulson, supported by D. Rice, to approve the minutes of the
regular meeting held on December 20, 2004. Motion carried 7-0.
117. Motion by D. Hintsala, supported by O. Kemp, to approve the consent items with the removal of Item A. Athletic DirectorÕs Report. Motion carried 7-0.
118. Payment of Bills and Financial Reports
A. Motion by D. Rice, supported O. Kemp, to approve the payment of bills totaling $147,205.55. Motion carried 7-0.
B. Received the Financial Report from the Administrative Aide for Finance, Mary Kay Johnson.
119. Written reports were received from the Athletic Director, Community Education Director, and the Health Coordinator. Oral reports were received from Bob Bonetti, High School Principal, Paulette Patron, Lakeview School Principal and Special Education Coordinator, and Superintendent Derocher.
120. Correspondence – None
121. Old Business - None
122. New Business:
A. Motion by V. Paulson, supported by M. Renaldi, to approve the amended 2004-05 General Fund budget, to reflect revenues of $11,247,512 and expenditures of $11,125,670. A Fund Balance transfer of $121,842 was approved, leaving a total of $1,138,813, in the Fund Balance account. Motion carried 7-0.
B. Superintendent Derocher discussed the annual regular school election changes. No action necessary.
C. Motion by D. Hintsala, supported by O. Kemp, to retain Thrun Law Firm, P.C. to serve as the school attorneys for the 2005 school year. Motion carried 7-0.
D. Motion by V. Paulson, supported by D. Rice, to approve the following individuals to the Sex Education Advisory Board:
Pastor Mike Carriere Dr. Wayne Carlson, Mark Churchill, Mickey Dempsey, Kevin Jacobson, Kyle Johnson, Judy Katona, Mary LaBelle, Ashley Pierce, Carol Romback, and Kayleen Tresedder. Motion carried
E. The Board reviewed the first reading of Board Policy changes for policy numbers 2414 per the passing of Public Act 165 and 166. No action necessary at this time.
F. The Board received an evaluation packet to be used for the annual review of the Superintendent. No action necessary.
G. Superintendent Derocher distributed, to the Board members, Certificates of Appreciation in recognition of their commitment to education. No action necessary.
123. Public Comment - None
124. Other Business – None
125. Motion by O. Kemp, supported by D. Rice, to adjourn the meeting at 7:47 p.m. Motion carried 7-0.
Fae Collins, President Marty Saari, Secretary