Negaunee Public Schools
January 16, 2006
Minutes of the Regular Meeting of the Board of Education, Negaunee Public Schools, City of Negaunee, County of Marquette, and State of Michigan, held January 16, 2006, at the Negaunee High School Library, starting at 7:00 p.m.
Members Present: Fae Collins, Dan Hintsala, Osmond T. Kemp, Virginia Paulson,
Martin Renaldi, Dave Rice, and Martin Saari
Members Absent: None
James Derocher, Superintendent
Bob Bonetti, High School Principal
Joe Meyskens, Interim Principal at Lakeview School
Mary Kay Johnson, Administrative Aide for Finance
Julie Dompierre, Recording Secretary
106. The meeting was called to order by President Dan Hintsala at 7:00 p.m.
107. A quorum of the board was established.
108. Motion by V. Paulson, supported by O. Kemp, to approve the agenda as presented. Motion carried 7-0.
109. Public Comment - None
110. Motion by M. Renaldi, supported by M. Saari, to approve the minutes of the
Regular Board Meeting and Closed Session held on December 19, 2005, as presented. Also, the Special Meeting and Closed Session held on January 4, 2006, with the following revision: 102. New Business, Item A. the motion made to suspend “Student C” was carried by a vote of 4-2.
Motion carried 7-0.
111. Motion by M. Saari, supported by D. Rice, to approve the consent items as presented. Motion carried 7-0.
112. Payment of Bills and Financial Reports
A. Motion by M. Renaldi, supported F. Collins, to approve the payment of bills totaling $412,074.86. Motion carried 7-0.
B. Received the Financial Report from the Administrative Aide for Finance, Mary Kay Johnson.
113. Written reports were received from the Athletic Director and Community Education Director. Oral reports were received from Bob Bonetti, High School Principal, Joe Meyskens, Interim Principal at Lakeview School, and Superintendent Derocher.
114. Correspondence - None
115. Old Business - None
116. New Business:
A. Motion by F. Collins, supported by V. Paulson, to approve the amended 2005-06 General Fund budget, to reflect revenues of $11,752,856 and expenditures of $12,323,816. A Fund Balance transfer of $570,960 was approved, leaving a total of $401,237, in the Fund Balance account. Motion carried 7-0.
B. Superintendent Derocher discussed the annual regular school election. No action necessary.
C. Motion by F. Collins, supported by O. Kemp, to retain Thrun Law Firm, P.C. to serve as the school attorneys for the 2006 school year. Motion carried 7-0.
D. Superintendent Derocher reviewed the bus inspection transportation report with the Board. No action necessary.
E. Motion by V. Paulson, supported by F. Collins, to approve the following employee leave of absence requests:
Joellyn Kainulainen will receive an additional personal business day around Thanksgiving break in the fall of 2006. She will be required to pay for the cost of the substitute teacher per Article XI, B. 3 of the Master Agreement with the Negaunee Education Association.
Beth Holmgren will receive all of her accumulated sick leave and then she will take 30 days with half pay and the remainder of her leave will be taken without pay. The entire leave will also be counted under the Family Medical Leave Act. Motion carried 7-0.
F. Superintendent Derocher informed the Board that he had received a letter of retirement from Tom Ball, a Bus Driver. The Superintendent also advised the Board of an internal transfer to fill this vacancy. No action necessary.
G. The Board received an evaluation packet to be used for the annual review of the Superintendent. No action necessary.
H. Superintendent Derocher distributed, to the Board members, Certificates of Appreciation in recognition of their commitment to education. No action necessary.
117. Public Comment - None
118. Other Business – None
119. Motion by M. Saari, supported by O. Kemp, to adjourn the meeting at 8:01 p.m. Motion carried 7-0.
Dan Hintsala, President Virginia Paulson, Secretary