January 19, 2004
Minutes of the Regular Meeting of the Board of Education, Negaunee Public Schools, City of Negaunee, County of Marquette, and State of Michigan, held on January 19, 2004, at the Negaunee High School Library.
Members Present: Fae Collins, Art Gischia, Dan Hintsala, Osmond T. Kemp, Virginia Paulson,
Dave Rice and Marty Saari
Member Absent: None
James Derocher, Superintendent
Bob Trebilcock, Middle School Principal
Ron Saari, Lakeview Elementary Principal
Paulette Patron, Special Education Coordinator
Lorraine Johnson, Administrative Aide for Finance
Mary Kay Johnson, Administrative Aide for Finance
Julie Dompierre, Recording Secretary
Others Present: Greg Casperson, Kurt Gravedoni, Diane Faust, Barb Jamros, Natalie Jamros, Rob Jamros,
and Dale Rogers
105. The meeting was called to order by President Art Gischia at 7:00 p.m.
106. A quorum of the board was established.
107. Motion by M. Saari, supported by O. Kemp, to approve the agenda as presented. Motion
108. Public Comment - None
109. Motion by V. Paulson, supported by D. Rice, to approve the minutes of the Regular Meeting held on December 15, 2003. Motion carried 7-0.
110. Motion by D. Hintsala, supported by F. Collins, to approve the Consent Items as presented. Motion carried 7-0.
111. Payment of Bills and Financial Reports
A. Motion by V. Paulson, supported by M. Saari, to approve payment of bills totaling $249,082.21. Motion carried 7-0.
B. Received the financial report from the Administrative Aide for Finance, Lorraine Johnson.
112. Written reports were received from the Community Education Director and Health Coordinator. Oral reports were received from Bob Trebilcock, Middle School Principal, Ron Saari, Lakeview School Principal, Paulette Patron, Special Education Coordinator, and Superintendent Derocher.
113. Correspondence - None
114. Old Business:
A. Motion by O. Kemp, supported by M. Saari, to accept an $18,000 bid from Kurt Gravedoni, to purchase the Pineview Elementary School. Motion carried 7-0.
B. Superintendent Derocher and the Board discussed the District buildings maintenance needs. At this juncture the following motion was made:
Motion by O. Kemp, supported by V. Paulson, to approve the process of presenting Sinking Fund language for the June election ballot. Motion carried 7-0.
115. New Business:
A. Motion by O. Kemp, supported by M. Saari, to reinstate Natalie Jamros, a long-term/suspended High School student, effective on Tuesday, January 20, 2004. Motion carried 7-0.
B. Motion by D. Hintsala, supported by F. Collins, to approve the amended 2003-04 General Fund budget, to reflect revenues of $10,858,196 and expenditures of $11,191,391. A Fund Balance transfer of $333,195 was approved, leaving a total of $599,513, in the Fund Balance account. Motion carried 7-0.
C. The Board was presented with the first reading of the following Board Policy additions, revisions or changes:
0154, 2225, 2260, 3210, 3213, 3419, 3419.01, 3419.02, 4213, 4419, 4419.01,
4419.02, 5611, 6144, 8210, 8330, and 8800.
No action necessary.
D. Motion by V. Paulson, supported by D. Rice, to change the April board meeting date to Tuesday, April 20, 2004. Motion carried 7-0.
E. Superintendent Derocher and the Board discussed the enrollment forecast. No action necessary.
F. Motion by F. Collins, supported by D. Hintsala, to retain Thrun Law Firm, P.C. to serve as the school attorneys for the 2004 school year. Motion carried 7-0.
G. Superintendent Derocher distributed to the Board members Certificates of Appreciation
in recognition of their commitment to education. No action necessary.
H. Board President Gischia distributed to the Board members the Superintendent
Evaluation form. No action necessary.
116. Public Comment Ð None
117. Other Business Ð None
118. Motion by M. Saari, supported by O. Kemp, to adjourn the meeting at 8:08 p.m. Motion
Art Gischia, President Dave Rice, Secretary