Negaunee Public Schools
February 20, 2006
Minutes of the Regular Meeting of the Board of Education, Negaunee Public Schools, City of Negaunee, County of Marquette, and State of Michigan, held February 20, 2006, at the Negaunee High School Library, starting at 7:00 p.m.
Members Present: Fae Collins, Dan Hintsala, Osmond T. Kemp, Virginia Paulson,
Martin Renaldi, Dave Rice, and Martin Saari
Members Absent: None
James Derocher, Superintendent
Bob Bonetti, High School Principal
Bob Trebilcock, Middle School Principal
Joe Meyskens, Interim Principal at Lakeview School
Mary Kay Johnson, Administrative Aide for Finance
Julie Dompierre, Recording Secretary
120. The meeting was called to order by President Dan Hintsala at 7:00 p.m.
121. A quorum of the board was established.
122. Motion by D. Rice, supported by O. Kemp, to approve the agenda with the following addition: 127. Administrative Reports and Comments – C. High School First Semester Attendance and Discipline Report. Motion carried 7-0.
123. Public Comment - None
124. Motion by V. Paulson, supported by M. Renaldi, to approve the minutes of the
Regular Board Meeting held on January 16, 2006, as presented. Motion
125. Motion by M. Renaldi, supported by O. Kemp, to approve the consent items as presented. Motion carried 7-0.
126. Payment of Bills and Financial Reports
A. Motion by D. Rice, supported by O. Kemp, to approve the payment of bills totaling $614,506.79. Motion carried 7-0.
B. Received the Financial Report from the Administrative Aide for Finance, Mary Kay Johnson.
127. Written reports were received from the Community Education Director, Health Coordinator Report, and High School Assistant Principal. Oral reports were received from Bob Bonetti, High School Principal, Bob Trebilcock, Middle School Principal, and Joe Meyskens, Interim Principal at Lakeview School, and Superintendent Derocher.
128. Correspondence - None
129. Old Business – At this juncture, President Hintsala reminded the Board members to return the Superintendent Evaluation forms.
130. New Business:
A. Riley Torreano, an Orchestra student, and Mark Setterlind, Orchestra Teacher, gave a brief presentation on the class trip to Europe during the summer of 2005. No action necessary.
B. Dr. Heidi Johnson, an Optometrist gave a presentation on vision therapy. No action necessary.
C. Superintendent Derocher and the Board discussed the Enrollment Projections report provided by Data Driven Decisions, Inc. No action necessary.
D. Superintendent Derocher reviewed the preliminary student count totals as of February 8, 2006, the official State of Michigan count date. No action necessary.
E. Motion by F. Collins, supported by V. Paulson, to adopt the Regular School Election Resolution. Roll call vote 7 ayes 0 nays. Motion carried.
F. Motion by V. Paulson, supported by D. Rice, to adopt the resolution to direct the Superintendent to take action to develop a Wellness Policy for the school district. This policy will be in place by September 5, 2006. Roll call vote 7 ayes 0 nays. Motion carried.
G. Motion by F. Collins, supported by O. Kemp, to allow the school district to participate in the Michigan Scholars Program. Motion carried 7-0.
H. Motion by M. Renaldi, supported by M. Saari, to approve the unpaid leave request of Coleen Allen, an Instructional Aide at Lakeview School. Motion carried 7-0.
I. Motion by V. Paulson, supported by M. Renaldi, to approve the following Schedule B positions:
Track: Girls Head Coach – High School Vicki Leathers -Paupore
Girls Assistant Coach - High School June Whippo
Volunteer Girls Track Coach Michelle Moard
Boys Head Coach – High School Kevin Bell
Boys Assistant Coach – High School Bill Ellerbruch
Volunteer Boys Coach Jason LaFond
Boys Tennis: Head Coach Kevin Jacobson
Assistant Coach Kyle Saari
Golf: Head Coach Karen Plaiser
Volunteer Patty Gagnon
Volunteer Mike Leanes
7th and 8th Grade Track: Girls Jeff Niemi
Boys Kyle Bell
Motion carried 7-0.
J. Superintendent Derocher informed the Board he has received a letter of resignation from Kathleen Kosonen, Bus Aide. No action necessary.
131. Public Comment - None
132. Other Business – None
133. Motion by M. Saari, supported by O. Kemp, to adjourn the meeting at 9:28 p.m. Motion carried 7-0.
Dan Hintsala, President Virginia Paulson, Secretary