Negaunee Public Schools
March 10, 2008
Minutes of the Regular Meeting of the Board of Education, Negaunee Public Schools, City of Negaunee, County of Marquette, and State of Michigan, held on March 10, 2008, at the Negaunee High School Library.
Members Present: Fae Collins, Dan Hintsala, Osmond T. Kemp, Martin Renaldi, and Martin Saari
Members Absent: Virginia Paulson and Dave Rice
James Derocher, Superintendent
Bob Bonetti, High School Principal
Dan Skewis, Middle School Principal
Mary Kay Johnson, Administrative Aide for Finance
Julie Dompierre, Recording Secretary
147. The meeting was called to order by President Martin Renaldi at 7:01 p.m.
148. A quorum of the board was established.
149. Motion by F. Collins, supported by O. Kemp, to approve the agenda with the following changes: The agenda date should read March 10, 2008. Superintendent Derocher requested that agenda items 157 New Business: F. Support Staff Lay-Off and G. Support Staff Appointment be omitted. Motion carried 5-0.
150. Public Comment - None
151. Motion by D. Hintsala, supported by M. Saari, to approve the minutes of the
regular meeting held on February 18, 2008. Motion carried 5-0.
152. Motion by M. Saari, supported by F. Collins, to approve the Consent Items as presented. Motion carried 5-0.
153. Payment of Bills and Financial Reports:
A. Motion by D. Hintsala, supported by F. Collins, to approve the payment of bills totaling $284,077.23. Motion carried 5-0.
B. The Financial Report was received from the Administrative Aide for Finance, Mary Kay Johnson.
154. Written reports were received from the Community Education Director and Health Coordinator. Oral reports were received from Bob Bonetti, High School Principal, Dan Skewis, Middle School Principal, and Jim Derocher, Superintendent.
155. Correspondence - None
156. Old Business - None
A. Cheyenne Chapman, a student from the Negaunee High School Global Awareness Committee, addressed the Board concerning the use of styrofoam trays in the High School cafeteria. The Committee is suggesting a dishwasher be installed to cut down on landfill waste. A question and answer period followed. Members of the Board expressed appreciation to Cheyenne for bring this situation to their attention. President Renaldi indicated that the Administration should look into the costs associated with the installation/operation of a dishwasher at the High School.
B. Superintendent Derocher and the Board discussed possible policy changes in regards to use of tobacco on school premises.
C. Superintendent Derocher and the Board discussed the issue of Title IX compliance.
D. Motion by F. Collins, supported by M. Saari, to name Kathleen Hill and Elizabeth Holmgren as the 2007-08 Teachers of the Year. Motion carried 5-0.
E. Superintendent Derocher informed the Board he had received a letter of resignation from Greg Casperson, a sixth grade Teacher. No action necessary.
H. Motion by F. Collins, supported by D. Hintsala, to approve the following Administrative contracts:
Dan Skewis, Middle School Principal, through the 2009-2010 school year.
Lynne Miettinen, Special Education Coordinator, through the 2009-2010 school year.
Derek Cardinal, Lakeview Assistant Principal, through the 2009-2010 school year.
Paul Jacobson, Middle School Assistant Principal, through the 2009-2010 school year.
Mark Marana, High School Assistant Principal, through the 2009-2010 school year.
Bob Bonetti, High School Principal, through the 2008-2009 school year.
Joe Meyskens, Lakeview School Principal, through the 2008-2009 school year.
Motion carried 5-0.
I. Motion by F. Collins, supported by O. Kemp, to approve the 5-year extension of the SuperintendentÕs contract through the 2012-2013 school year. Motion carried 5-0.
J. Motion by O. Kemp, supported by F. Collins, to allow the Superintendent to sign a Letter of Intent to investigate options for health insurance for the school districtÕs employees. Motion carried 5-0.
157. Public Comment – None
158. Other Business – None
160. President Renaldi adjourned the meeting at 8:29 p.m.
Marty Renaldi, President Virginia Paulson, Secretary