March 15, 2004
Minutes of the Regular Meeting of the Board of Education, Negaunee Public Schools, City of Negaunee, County of Marquette, and State of Michigan, held on March 15, 2004, at the Negaunee High School Library.
Members Present: Fae Collins, Art Gischia, Dan Hintsala, Osmond T. Kemp, Virginia Paulson,
Dave Rice, and Marty Saari
Members Absent: None
James Derocher, Superintendent
Bob Trebilcock, Middle School Principal
Ron Saari, Lakeview School Principal
Paulette Patron, Special Education Coordinator
Mary Kay Johnson, Administrative Aide for Finance
Marcia Manninen, Transportation Supervisor
Julie Dompierre, Recording Secretary
Others Present: Colleen Allen, Gerry Anderson, Wendy Beacco, Carrie Byykkonen, Diane Faust, Patty
Gagnon, Kathy Gischia, Michelle Lammi, Sharon Landmark, Kathy O’Donnell, Dale Rogers, Mark Setterlind, Andy Skewis, and Bonnie Stott
133. The meeting was called to order by President Art Gischia at 7:00 p.m.
134. A quorum of the board was established.
135. Motion by M. Saari, supported by D. Hintsala, to approve the agenda with the follow addition:
143. New Business – E. Letter of Understanding
Motion carried 7-0.
136. Public Comment - None
137. Motion by V. Paulson, supported by O. Kemp, to approve the minutes of the Regular Meeting held on February 16, 2004. Motion carried 7-0.
138. Motion by F. Collins, supported by D. Rice, to approve the Consent Items as presented. Motion carried 7-0.
139. Payment of Bills and Financial Reports
A. Motion by D. Hintsala, supported by F. Collins, to approve payment of bills totaling $172,973.04. Motion carried 7-0.
B. Received the financial report from the Administrative Aide for Finance, Mary Kay Johnson.
140. Written reports were received from the Community Education Director and Health Coordinator. Oral reports were received from Bob Trebilcock, Middle School Principal, Ron Saari, Lakeview School Principal, Paulette Patron, Special Education Coordinator, and Superintendent Derocher.
141. Correspondence – President Gischia, received a letter from Mike Turino, from Northern Michigan University, commenting on how well the High School and Middle School students represented the school district while they participated in programs at the University.
142. Old Business:
A. Motion by O. Kemp, supported by F. Collins, to approve the language for the milleage request as follows: Request a tax levy of 2 mills, not to exceed 10 years, to fund a Sinking Fund. O. Kemp withdrew the motion.
Motion by D. Rice, supported by O. Kemp, to seek a tax levy of 2 1/4 mills, for 5 years, to fund a Sinking Fund. Motion carried 7-0.
B. Motion by F. Collins, supported by M. Saari, to approve the budget reductions as presented. Also, the Board approved an approximate transfer of $119,245 from the Fund Balance to balance the budget. Motion carried 7-0.
C. Motion by V. Paulson, supported by M. Saari, to purchase the following textbooks for the Advance Biology and Physics courses offered at the High School:
Physic: Principles with Applications (5th ed.) by Douglas C. Giancoli and
Essentials of Human Anatomy & Physiology (7th ed.) by Elaine Marieb
Motion carried 7-0.
143. New Business:
A. Motion by M. Saari, supported by D. Hintsala, to approve the unpaid maternity leave for Karie Belanger, an Instructional Aide at Lakeview School. Motion carried 7-0.
B. Superintendent Derocher informed the Board he has accepted letters of retirement from the following individuals:
Tom Beauchaine, Bus Driver
John Dighera, Grounds Keeper
Mary Grobar, Secretary, Negaunee Middle School
Letters of appreciation was sent to all of these individuals. No action necessary.
C. Motion by D. Hintsala, supported by F. Collins, to extend Superintendent Derocher’s contract to the 2008-2009 school year. Motion carried 7-0.
D. Motion by V. Paulson, supported by O. Kemp, to move into closed session at 8:28 p.m., to hold a grievance hearing. Motion carried 7-0.
At 8:47 p.m. the Board reconvened into open session. Motion by O. Kemp, supported by V. Paulson, to deny the grievance filed by Dennis Dompierre, a bus driver. Motion carried 7-0.
E. Motion by F. Collins, supported by O. Kemp, to approve the Negaunee Education Association Letter of Understanding for the Voluntary Layoff for the 2004-05 school year. Motion carried 7-0.
144. Public Comment – None
145. Other Business – None
146. Motion by M. Saari, supported by O. Kemp, to adjourn the meeting at 9:30 p.m. Motion
Art Gischia, President Dave Rice, Secretary