Negaunee Public Schools
September 18, 2006
Minutes of the Regular Meeting of the Board of Education, Negaunee Public Schools, City of Negaunee, County of Marquette, and State of Michigan, held on September 18, 2006, at the Lakeview Elementary School Music Room.
Members Present: Fae Collins, Dan Hintsala, Osmond T. Kemp, Virginia Paulson,
Martin Renaldi, Dave Rice, and Martin Saari
Member Absent: None
James Derocher, Superintendent
Bob Bonetti, High School Principal
Dan Skewis, Middle School Principal
Joe Meyskens, Lakeview Interim School Principal
Mary Kay Johnson, Administrative Aide for Finance
Julie Dompierre, Recording Secretary
36. The meeting was called to order by President Martin Saari at 7:00 p.m.
37. A quorum of the board was established.
38. Motion by F. Collins, supported by V. Paulson, to approve the agenda as presented. Motion carried 7-0.
39. Public Comment - None
40. Motion by D. Hintsala, supported by O. Kemp, to approve the minutes of the
regular meeting held on August 21, 2006, Special Meeting and Closed Session held on August 23, 2006. Motion carried 7-0.
41. Motion by D. Rice, supported by D. Hintsala, to approve the consent items as presented. Motion carried 7-0.
42. Payment of Bills and Financial Reports:
A. Motion by D. Hintsala, supported by V. Paulson, to approve the payment of bills totaling $249,251.50. Motion carried 7-0.
B. Received the Financial Report from the Administrative Aide for Finance, Mary Kay Johnson.
43. Oral reports were received from Bob Bonetti, High School Principal, Dan Skewis, Middle School Principal, Joe Meyskens, Lakeview School Interim Principal, and Superintendent Derocher.
The Board and Superintendent Derocher discussed sending a member of the Board to the MASB Fall Leadership Conference. No action taken.
45. Old Business - None
46. New Business:
A. Motion by D. Rice, supported by O Kemp, to move into closed session, at the request of USWA Local Union No. 4950, at 7:27 p.m. Motion carried 7-0.
President Saari moved the meeting back into open session at 7:46 p.m.
Motion by D. Rice, supported by M. Renaldi, to deny Grievance #10 filed by the USWA Local Union No. 4950. Motion carried 7-0.
B. Motion by M. Renaldi, supported by O. Kemp, to approved a self-funded field trip for Mrs. Susan MacDonald’s foreign language students to travel to Europe. No fundraising will be done. Motion carried 7-0.
C. Motion by V. Paulson, supported by F. Collins, to adopted the resolution to participate in Section 32 (d) Preschool Program. Roll call vote 7 ayes and 0 nays. Motion carried.
D. Superintendent Derocher reviewed the district’s student enrollment. No action necessary.
E. Motion by V. Paulson, supported by D. Rice, to approve the substitute personnel wages as follows:
Teacher $60.00 per day
Bus driver 10.00 per hour
Secretary 7.00 per hour
Custodian 7.75 per hour
Aide 6.95 per hour
Motion carried 7-0.
F. Superintendent Derocher informed the Board he had received a letter of retirement from Nancy Ring, an Instructional Aide. No action necessary.
47. Public Comment – None
48. Other Business - None
49. Motion by O. Kemp, supported by F. Collins, to adjourn the meeting at
8:00 p.m. Motion carried 7-0.
Martin Saari, President Fae Collins, Secretary