Negaunee Public Schools
October 16, 2006
Minutes of the Regular Meeting of the Board of Education, Negaunee Public Schools, City of Negaunee, County of Marquette, and State of Michigan, held on October 17, 2006, at the Negaunee High School Library.
Members Present: Fae Collins, Dan Hintsala, Osmond T. Kemp, Virginia Paulson,
Martin Renaldi, Dave Rice, and Martin Saari
Member Absent: None
James Derocher, Superintendent
Bob Bonetti, High School Principal
Dan Skewis, Middle School Principal
Joe Meyskens, Lakeview Interim School Principal
Mary Kay Johnson, Administrative Aide for Finance
Julie Dompierre, Recording Secretary
50. The meeting was called to order by President Martin Saari at 7:00 p.m.
51. A quorum of the board was established.
52. Motion by V. Paulson, supported by F. Collins, to approve the agenda with the following addition 60. New Business – Item I. Transportation Report. Motion carried 7-0.
53. Public Comment:
Steve Anderson, a member of the GirlsÕ Fast Pitch Softball Start-up Committee, updated the Board on the progress of the Fast Pitch Program.
54. Motion by M. Renaldi, supported by D. Rice, to approve the minutes of the
Regular Meeting and Closed Session held on September 18, 2006. Motion carried 7-0.
55. The Board held a brief discussion on the consent items. Motion by D. Hintsala, supported by O. Kemp, to approve the consent items as presented. Motion carried 7-0.
56. Payment of Bills and Financial Reports:
A. Motion by M. Renaldi, supported by F. Collins, to approve the payment of bills totaling $282,363.20. Motion carried 7-0.
B. Received the Financial Report from the Administrative Aide for Finance, Mary Kay Johnson.
57. Written reports were received by the High School Athletic Director, Community Education Coordinator and the Health Coordinator. Oral reports were received from Bob Bonetti, High School Principal, Dan Skewis, Middle School Principal, Joe Meyskens, Lakeview School Interim Principal, and Superintendent Derocher.
58. Correspondence - None
59. Old Business - None
60. New Business:
A. The Board was informed, by Superintendent Derocher, that all of the annual reports for the district have been filed per Public Act 25. The reports have also been filed with Marquette Alger Regional Education Service Agency. No action necessary.
B. The Board and Superintendent Derocher discussed a proposal, from the Negaunee City Manager, Gerald Peterson, in which the school districtÕs Administration Office would relocate to the 2nd floor of the Negaunee City Hall. No action necessary.
C. Motion by F. Collins, supported by M. Renaldi, to award the rental bid of snow removal equipment to Fabco in the amount of $6,740 for the 4 months rental of a front-end loader. This agreement includes 200 service meter hours. Hours over the 200 hours would be invoiced at $32 each. Motion carried 7-0.
D. Motion by M. Renaldi, supported by V. Paulson, to approve a self funded field trip allowing all of the 4th grade classes to travel to Mackinaw City and Mackinac Island in the Spring 2007. The Board gave permission for the classes to fundraise for this event. Motion carried 7-0.
E. Superintendent Derocher along with Mr. Skewis and Mr. Bonetti updated the Board on the Sustained Silent Reading Program. No action necessary.
F. Motion by F. Collins, supported by O. Kemp to hire the following individuals:
Dave Lander, as a Custodian at Lakeview School, pending his background check.
Jodi Johnson, as a one hour per day, elementary Computer Teacher.
Amanda Miljour, as a part-time Title VII Instructional Aide. Motion carried 7-0.
G. Motion by D. Hintsala, supported by M. Renaldi, to approve the following Schedule B positions:
Boys Basketball Varsity Mike OÕDonnell
Junior Varsity Kevin Jacobson
9th Grade Jeff Niemi
8th Marius Grazulis
7th Kyle Saari
Wrestling Head Andy Skewis
Assistant Cory Richards
Volunteer Jim Skewis
Gymnastics Head Eyre Becker
Assistant Kristen Pietila
Volleyball Head Jaimie Jezewski
Assistant To be announced at a later date
Cheerleading Head Amy Pringle
Assistant Ashley Nault
Volunteer MaryAnn Johnson
Head Sarah Hicks
Volunteer Leslie Hicks/Cara Skewis
Hockey Head Tim Gannon
Assistant Bob Lantto
Volunteers Don Duquette
Motion carried 7-0.
H. Superintendent Derocher informed the Board of the following employees maternity leave requests: Tori Sager, Karie Belanger and Abby Cameron-Standerford. No action necessary.
I. Motion by F. Collins, supported by V. Paulson, to seek bids on 2 (two) buses. Motion carried 7-0.
61. Public Comment:
The GirlsÕ Fast Pitch Softball Start-up Committee members made some additional comments.
62. Other Business - None
63. Motion by O. Kemp, supported by D. Rice, to adjourn the meeting at
8:33 p.m. Motion carried 7-0.
Martin Saari, President Fae Collins, Secretary