Negaunee Public Schools
November 18 , 2002
Minutes of the Regular Meeting of the Board of Education, Negaunee Public Schools, City of Negaunee, County of Marquette, and State of Michigan, held on November 18, 2002, at the Negaunee High School.
Members Present: Fae Collins, Art Gischia, Dan Hintsala, George Kaiser, Osmond T. Kemp, Virginia Paulson and Martin Saari.
Members Absent: None
James Derocher, Superintendent
Bob Bonetti, High School, Principal
Bob Trebilcock, Middle School Principal
Paulette Patron, Special Education Coordinator
Lorraine Johnson, Administrative Aide for Finance
Julie Dompierre, Recording Secretary
Others Present: Greg Casperson, Becky Hills, Diane Faust and Clelia Terzaghi
78. The meeting was called to order by President Dan Hintsala at 7:00 p.m.
79. A quorum of the board was established.
80. Motion by F. Collins, supported by A. Gischia, to approve the agenda with the following additions:
85. Consent Items - B. Health Coordinator Report
88. New Business - I. Request for Leave of Absence Extension
88. New Business - J. Letter of Resignation
Motion carried 7-0.
81. Public Comment - None
82. Motion by V. Paulson, supported by M. Saari, to approve the minutes of the regular board meeting of
October 21, 2002 and the special meeting held on October 29, 2002. Motion carried 7-0.
83. Motion by M. Saari, supported by G. Kaiser, to approve the consent items as presented.
Motion carried 7-0.
84. Payment of Bills and Financial Reports
A. Motion by F. Collins, supported by A. Gischia, to approve payment of bills totaling $214,235.74 Motion carried 7-0.
B. Received the financial report from the Administrative Aide for Finance, Lorraine Johnson.
85. Written reports were received from the Community Education Director and Health Coordinator. Oral reports were given by Bob Bonetti, High School Principal, Bob Trebilcock, Middle School Principal, Paulette Patron, Special Education Coordinator and Superintendent Derocher.
86. Correspondence - None
87. Old Business - None
88. New Business:
A. Clelia Terzaghi, a representative of the Link, presented a certificate of appreciation to Bob Bonetti High School Principal, for the schoolÕs participation in the Fetal Alcohol Awareness Syndrome Program. No action necessary.
B. Motion by A. Gischia, supported by F. Collins, to accept the Negaunee Public Schools 2001-02 audit as presented by Becky Hills, CPA, for Anderson, Tackman and Company. A brief question and answer session followed. Motion carried 7-0.
C. Motion by V. Paulson, supported by O. Kemp, to approve the bidding procedure to replace the lighting system at the football field. Motion carried 7-0.
D. Superintendent Derocher presented an enrollment update as of the state reporting date of September 25, 2002. No action necessary.
E. Superintendent Derocher discussed the fall parent-teacher conference report. No action necessary.
F. Motion by F. Collins, supported by G. Kaiser, to approve the Middle School chorus trip to Green Bay, Wisconsin on February 15, 2003. Motion carried 7-0.
G. Motion by A. Gischia, supported by M. Saari, to approve the following Schedule B positions: Hockey: Volunteer Assistant Mike Johnson
Cheerleading: Volunteer Assistant Diane Faust, Amy Pringle
Motion carried 7-0.
H. The Board reviewed the first reading of the following Board Policies changes:1400, 2261, 2261.01, 2261.02, 2416, 2531, 2700, 3120, 3217, 4120, 4217, 5111.01, 5310, 5772, 5780, 6110, 7217, 7455, 8330, 8350 and 9130. No action necessary.
I. Motion by F. Collins, supported by A. Gischia, to deny a request from Anne Asplund to
extend her unpaid leave of absence. Motion carried 7-0.
J. Motion by O. Kemp, supported by V. Paulson, to accept a letter of resignation from Cheri Spear. Motion carried 7-0.
89. Public Comment - None
90. Other Business - None
91. Motion by M. Saari, supported by F. Collins, to adjourn the meeting at 8:20 p.m. Motion carried 7-0.
Dan Hintsala, President Fae Collins, Secretary