November 17, 2003
Minutes of the Regular Meeting of the Board of Education, Negaunee Public Schools, City of Negaunee, County of Marquette, and State of Michigan, held on November 17, 2003, at the Negaunee High School Library.
Members Present: Fae Collins, Art Gischia, Dan Hintsala, Osmond T. Kemp, Virginia Paulson, and
Member Absent: Martin Saari
James Derocher, Superintendent
Bob Trebilcock, Middle School Principal
Lorraine Johnson, Administrative Aide for Finance
Julie Dompierre, Recording Secretary
Others Present: Greg Casperson, Becky Hills, Kevin Koch, Michelle Lammi, and Suanne
77. The meeting was called to order by President Art Gischia at 7:00 p.m.
78. A quorum of the board was established.
79. Motion by D. Hintsala, supported by F. Collins, to approve the agenda as presented. Motion carried 6-0.
80. Public Comment - None
81. Motion by V. Paulson, supported by O. Kemp, to approve the minutes of the Regular Meeting held on October 20, 2003, and the Special Meeting and Closed Session of November 12, 2003. Motion carried 6-0.
82. Motion by V. Paulson, supported by D. Rice, to approve the Consent Items as presented. Motion carried 6-0.
83. Payment of Bills and Financial Reports
A. Motion by F. Collins, supported by D. Hintsala, to approve payment of bills totaling $227,244.92. Motion carried 6-0.
B. Received the Financial report from the Administrative Aide for Finance, Lorraine Johnson.
84. Oral reports were received from Bob Trebilcock, Middle School Principal, and Superintendent Derocher.
85. Correspondence - None
86. Old Business:
A. Superintendent Derocher and the Board discussed the maintenance needs of the Middle School. No action required.
87. New Business:
A. The Negaunee Public Schools 2002-03 audit was presented by Becky Hills, CPA, for Anderson, Tackman and Company. A brief question and answer session followed. No action necessary
B. Michelle Lammi and Suanne Trebilcock, Teachers at the Middle School, informed the Board of a pilot program, sponsored by Middle Start, involving a parent/teacher workshop. No action necessary.
C. Motion by F. Collins, supported by O. Kemp, to approve the Resolution Opposing Elections Consolidation. Motion carried 6-0.
D. Superintendent Derocher discussed the fall parent-teacher conference report. No action necessary.
E. Superintendent Derocher informed the Board of a resignation letter he received submitted by Eyre Becker, Gymnastics Head Coach. No action necessary.
F. Motion by F. Collins, supported by V. Paulson, to appoint Molly Kus, to the 2 1/2 hours per day, Instructional Aide position in the ASAP-LAP Reading Program for the 2003-04 school year. Motion carried 6-0.
G. Motion by O. Kemp, supported by F. Collins, to approve the following Schedule B positions:
Volleyball Head Coach Jamey Jezewski
Volleyball Assistant Volunteer Coach Val Miettinen
Gymnastics Head Coach Kevin Koch
Gymnastics Volunteer Coach Lowell Meyer
Gymnastics Volunteer Coach Liz Portelli
Motion carried 6-0.
88. Public Comment Ð None
89. Other Business Ð None
90. Motion by O. Kemp, supported by F. Collins, to adjourn the meeting at 8:14 p.m. Motion carried 6-0.
Art Gischia, President Dave Rice, Secretary