Negaunee Public Schools
November 22, 2004
Minutes of the Regular Meeting of the Board of Education, Negaunee Public Schools, City of Negaunee, County of Marquette, and State of Michigan, held November 22, 2004, at the Negaunee High School Library, starting at 6:00 p.m.
Members Present: Fae Collins, Dan Hintsala, Osmond T. Kemp, Virginia Paulson,
Martin Renaldi, Dave Rice, and Martin Saari
Members Absent: None
James Derocher, Superintendent
Bob Bonetti, High School Principal
Bob Trebilcock, Middle School Principal
Dan Skewis, Middle School Assistant Principal
Paulette Patron, Lakeview School Principal and Special Education Coordinator
Mary Kay Johnson, Administrative Aide for Finance
Julie Dompierre, Recording Secretary
Others Present: Justin Leppanen
84. The meeting was called to order by President Fae Collins at 6:00 p.m.
85. A quorum of the board was established.
86. Motion by V. Paulson, supported by O. Kemp, to approve the agenda as presented. Motion carried 7-0.
87. Public Comment - None
88. Motion by M. Renaldi, supported by D. Hintsala, to approve the minutes of the
regular meeting held on October 18, 2004. Motion carried 7-0.
89. Motion by D. Hintsala, supported by M. Saari, to approve the consent items as presented. Motion carried 7-0.
90. Payment of Bills and Financial Reports
A. Motion by M. Saari, supported by V. Paulson, to approve the payment of bills totaling $392,848.97. Motion carried 7-0.
B. Received the Financial Report from the Administrative Aide for Finance, Mary Kay Johnson.
91. Written reports were received from the Community Education Director, the Health Coordinator and the High School Assistant PrincipalŐs Discipline Report. Oral reports were received from Bob Bonetti, High School Principal, Bob Trebilcock, Middle School Principal, Paulette Patron, Lakeview School Principal and Special Education Coordinator and Superintendent Derocher.
92. Correspondence - None
93. Old Business - None
94. New Business:
A. Justin Leppanen, a Middle School student, explained and present to the Board an I-Mac movie he created reviewing the life of Middle School students. This movie will be presented to a group of students in Japan.
No action necessary.
B. Motion by O. Kemp, supported by D. Rice, to award the boiler replacement bid, at Lakeview School, to John E. Greene in the amount of $162,602. Lake Shore Environmental will handle the asbestos removal on this project for the amount of $9,240. Motion carried 7-0.
C. The Board reviewed the first reading of Board Policy changes listed below: 0122, 0142.1, 0142.2, 0142.3, 0142.5, 0167.1, 3120, 5111, 5200, 5516, 5517, 5517.01, 6152, 8330. No action necessary at this time.
D. Superintendent Derocher discussed the fall parent-teacher conference reports. No action necessary.
E. Superintendent Derocher informed the Board he has received a letter of resignation from Fae Joki, an Instructional Aide. No action necessary.
F. Motion by V. Paulson, supported by M. Renaldi, to hire the following individuals:
Jill Collins as a Science Teacher at the Middle School.
Susan Koskey as a Payroll Clerk.
Linda Spencer as an Instructional Aide in the Early-On Program.
Motion carried 6-0 and F. Collins abstained her vote.
G. Motion by M. Renaldi, supported by D. Rice, to appoint the following individuals to Schedule B positions:
Boys 9th grade Basketball Head Coach Mike OŐDonnell
Head Coach Kevin Koch
Assistant Coach Kristin Pietila
Assistant Coach Elizabeth Portale
Volunteers Bill Ellerbruch
Motion carried 7-0.
H. The Board and Superintendent Derocher discussed the results of the Board Self-Evaluation survey. No action necessary
95. Public Comment - None
96. Other Business - None
97. Motion by O. Kemp, supported by D. Rice, to adjourn the meeting at 7:22 p.m. Motion carried 7-0.
Fae Collins, President Marty Saari, Secretary