Negaunee Public Schools
December 16, 2002
Minutes of the Regular Meeting of the Board of Education, Negaunee Public Schools, City of Negaunee, County of Marquette, and State of Michigan, held on December 16, 2002, at the Negaunee High School.
Members Present: Fae Collins, Art Gischia, Dan Hintsala, George Kaiser, Osmond T. Kemp, Virginia Paulson and Martin Saari
Members Absent: None
James Derocher, Superintendent
Bob Bonetti, High School Principal
Bob Trebilcock, Middle School Principal
Ron Saari, Lakeview School Principal
Paulette Patron, Special Education Coordinator
Lorraine Johnson, Administrative Aide for Finance
Julie Dompierre, Recording Secretary
Others Present: Greg Casperson, Adam Dompierre, Diane Faust, Patty Gagnon, Sue MacDonald and Andy Skewis
92. The meeting was called to order by President Dan Hintsala at 7:00 p.m.
93. A quorum of the board was established.
94. Motion by M. Saari, supported by O. Kemp, to approve the agenda with the following additions:
99. Consent Items - C. Athletic DirectorÕs Report 99. Consent Items - D. Health CoordinatorÕs Report
Motion carried 7-0.
95. Public Comment - None
96. Motion by A. Gischia, supported by F. Collins, to approve the minutes of the regular board meeting of November 18, 2002. Motion carried 7-0.
97. Motion by G. Kaiser, supported by O. Kemp, to approve the consent items as presented. Motion carried 7-0.
98. Payment of Bills and Financial Reports
A. Motion by V. Paulson, supported by O. Kemp, to approve payment of bills totaling $204,367.56 Motion carried 7-0.
B. Received the financial report from the Administrative Aide for Finance, Lorraine Johnson.
99. Written reports were received from the Community Education Director, Health Coordinator, High School Assistant Principal and Athletic Director. Oral reports were given by Bob Bonetti, High School Principal, Bob Trebilcock, Middle School Principal , Ron Saari, Lakeview School Principal and Paulette Patron, Special Education Coordinator.
100. Correspondence - None
101. Old Business:
A. Motion by F. Collins, supported by V. Paulson, to adopt the changes to the following Board Policies: 1400, 2261, 2261.01, 2261.02, 2416, 2531, 2700, 3120, 3217, 4120, 4217, 5111.01, 5310, 5772, 5780, 6110, 7217, 7455, 8330, 8350 and 9130. Motion carried 7-0.
102. New Business:
A. High School student, Adam Dompierre, presented to the Board a video made by the students in the Writing with Technology class. A brief question and answer session followed. No action necessary.
B. Motion by V. Paulson, supported by M. Saari, to approve the Summer Tax Resolution as presented. Motion carried 7-0.
C. Motion by F. Collins, supported by G. Kaiser, to approve the 5 year Cooperative Agreement between Negaunee Public Schools and Powell Township School district. This Agreement is subject to review each year. Motion carried 7-0.
D. Motion by A. Gischia, supported by O. Kemp, to approve a trip to Spain and France for students who have completed two years of high school Spanish, pending clarification from Set-Seg Insurance of the school districtÕs liabilities. Motion carried 7-0.
E. Superintendent Derocher discussed a letter received from the Michigan Education Special Services Association, (MESSA), concerning changes to MESSAÕs Super Care 1 health plan. Superintendent Derocher informed the Board that the district will not participate with MESSA to change the coverage while under contract. No action necessary.
F. Motion by A. Gischa, supported by V. Paulson, to approve the following staff
Kristine Peppin and Barbara Savolainen - Title I Aides - Lakeview Elementary School
Julie Herman - Early On Aide - Negaunee Middle School
Motion carried 7-0.
F. Motion by F. Collins, supported by G. Kaiser, to deny a request from Shirley Turino for an additional personal leave day. Motion carried 7-0.
Motion by A. Gischia, supported by O. Kemp, to deny a request from Cindy Kotila for
an additional personal leave day. Motion carried 7-0.
H. The Board received a letter of resignation from Anne Asplund, Instructional Aide. No action necessary.
I. Motion by V. Paulson, supported by G. Kaiser, to approve the purchase of two 72/71 passenger bus combination units through the UP wide cooperative bus purchasing program, at a total cost of $109,112. Motion carried 7-0.
J. Superintendent Derocher and the Board discussed winterization of the Pineview School building. No action necessary.
103. Public Comment - None
104. Other Business - None
105. Motion by M. Saari, supported by A. Gischia, to adjourn the meeting at 8:30 p.m. Motion carried 7-0.
Dan Hintsala, President Fae Collins, Secretary