December 15, 2003
Minutes of the Regular Meeting of the Board of Education, Negaunee Public Schools, City of Negaunee, County of Marquette, and State of Michigan, held on December 15, 2003, at the Negaunee High School Library.
Members Present: Fae Collins, Art Gischia, Dan Hintsala, Osmond T. Kemp, Virginia Paulson, and
Dave Rice and Marty Saari
Member Absent: None
James Derocher, Superintendent
Bob Bonetti, High School Principal
Bob Trebilcock, Middle School Principal
Ron Saari, Lakeview Elementary Principal
Paulette Patron, Special Education Coordinator
Lorraine Johnson, Administrative Aide for Finance
Julie Dompierre, Recording Secretary
Others Present: Greg Casperson and Diane Faust
91. The meeting was called to order by President Art Gischia at 7:00 p.m.
92. A quorum of the board was established.
93. Motion by F. Collins, supported by O. Kemp, to approve the agenda as presented. Motion
94. Public Comment - None
95. Motion by V. Paulson, supported by D. Rice, to approve the minutes of the Regular Meeting held on November 17, 2003. Motion carried 7-0.
96. Motion by F. Collins, supported by D. Hintsala, to approve the Consent Items as presented. Motion carried 7-0.
97. Payment of Bills and Financial Reports
A. Motion by O. Kemp, supported by D. Rice, to approve payment of bills totaling $245,343.07. Motion carried 7-0.
B. Received the financial report from the Administrative Aide for Finance, Lorraine Johnson.
98. Written reports were received from the High School Athletic Director, Community Education Director, Health Coordinator, and the High School Assistant Principal - Attendance and Discipline Report. Oral reports were received from Bob Bonetti, High School Principal, Bob Trebilcock, Middle School Principal, Ron Saari, Lakeview School Principal, Paulette Patron, Special Education Coordinator, and Superintendent Derocher.
99. Correspondence - None
100. Old Business:
A. Superintendent Derocher and the Board discussed the maintenance needs of Lakeview Elementary School. No action necessary.
B. Motion by D. Hintsala, supported by M. Saari, to approve the purchase of two (2) new buses in the amount of $114,526. These buses will be financed over 5 years. Motion carried 7-0.
101. New Business:
A. Motion by V. Paulson, supported by O. Kemp, to adopt the Summer Tax Resolution. Motion carried 7-0.
B. Motion by F. Collins, supported by V. Paulson, to approve a self-supporting overnight field trip to Mackinaw City and Fort Michillimackinac for Wendy Beacco and Nancy SchneiderÕs fourth grade classes at Lakeview Elementary School. Motion carried 7-0.
C. Motion by V. Paulson, supported by D. Rice, to approve Kathy Sundine and Alice CrookhamÕs request for additional business leave, per Article XI. Sick Leave and Business Leave of the Master Agreement. Motion denied 3 ayes and 4 nays.
Motion by O. Kemp, supported by V. Paulson, to approve a four-day additional business leave request from Kathy Sundine, according to Article XI. Sick Leave and Business Leave of the Master Agreement. Motion carried 4 ayes and 3 nays.
D. Superintendent Derocher informed the Board he had received a letter of retirement from Lorraine Johnson, Administrative Aide for Finance. No action necessary.
E. Motion by F. Collins, supported by V. Paulson, to hire Mary Kay Johnson as the Administrative Aide for Finance, at a salary of $40,000, for the remainder of the 2003-04 school year with an increase to $42,500 for the 2004-05 school year. Motion carried 7-0.
F. Motion by F. Collins, supported by D. Hintsala, to approve the following Schedule B positions:
Assistant Gymnastics Coach Elizabeth Portelli
Assistant Gymnastics Coach Bill Ellerbruch
Motion carried 7-0.
102. Public Comment Š None
103. Other Business Š None
104. Motion by M. Saari, supported by O. Kemp, to adjourn the meeting at 8:31 p.m. Motion carried 7-0.
Art Gischia, President Dave Rice, Secretary