Negaunee Public Schools
September 21, 2009
Minutes of the Regular Meeting, of the Board of Education, Negaunee Public Schools, City of Negaunee, County of Marquette, and State of Michigan, held on September 21, 2009, at Lakeview Elementary School.
Members Present: Fae Collins, Dan Hintsala, Virginia Paulson, Martin Renaldi, Dave Rice, and Martin Saari
Members Absent: None
James Derocher, Superintendent
Bob Bonetti, High School Principal
Dan Skewis, Middle School Principal
Julie Peterson, Lakeview Elementary School Principal
Mary Kay Johnson, Administrative Aide for Finance
Julie Dompierre, Recording Secretary
143. The meeting was called to order by President Dave Rice at 7:00 p.m.
144. A quorum of the board was established.
145. Motion by M. Renaldi, supported by M. Saari, to approve the agenda with the following addition: 153. New Business, Item H. Unpaid Leave of Absence. Also, additional names were submitted under Item B. Schedule B Appointments. Motion carried 6-0.
146. Public Comment - none
147. Motion by V. Paulson, supported by F. Collins, to approve the regular Board meeting minutes held on August 17, 2009. Motion carried 6-0.
148. Motion by M. Saari, supported by M. Renaldi, to approve the consent items as presented. Motion carried 6-0.
149. Payment of Bills and Financial Reports
A. Motion by F. Collins, supported by M. Saari, to approve the payment of bills totaling $299,242.60. Motion carried 6-0.
B. Received the Financial Report from the Administrative Aide for Finance, Mary Kay Johnson.
150. A written report was received from the Community Education Director. Oral reports were received from Bob Bonetti, High School Principal, Dan Skewis, Middle School Principal, Julie Peterson, Lakeview Elementary School Principal, and Superintendent Derocher.
151. Correspondence – none
152. Old Business:
A. Superintendent Derocher reminded the Board that if they wanted to send
delegates to the MASB convention members would have to be designated
by official action. No action taken.
153. New Business:
A. Motion by V. Paulson, supported by M. Renaldi, to appoint Susan
Wideman to the Board. Motion carried 6-0.
At this juncture Dawn Schuhknecht, a parent, stated she was not aware of the vacancy on the Board of Education. Superintendent Derocher stated this vacancy was discussed at the last meeting, was advertised in the Mining Journal and posted on the school districtÕs website. Ms. Schuhknecht ask that the application date be extended.
B. Motion by M. Saari, supported by F. Collins, to approve the following
Schedule B positions:
High School Summer Music and Athletic Games - Jeremy Connin
Varsity Cheerleading Head Coach – Amy Pringle
JV Cheerleading Coach – Mary Ann Johnson
Head Volleyball Coach – Jamey Jezewski
JV Volleyball Coach – June Link
Head Girls Tennis Coach – Kyle Saari
Lakeview Student Council Advisor – Michelle Anderson
Middle School Football: Kyle Heikkila
Volunteer Coaches: Mike McBride
Middle School Basketball Coaches:
Eight Grade Bobbi Ayotte
Seventh Grade Jesse Rosten
Middle School Cheer Coach: Sarah Hicks
Volunteer Coaches: Kim Hicks
Other Volunteer Coaches:
Girls Tennis Kaleb Collins
Cheerleading Kelsey Niemisto
Volleyball Alyssa Dix
Motion carried 7-0.
C. Motion by F. Collins, supported by M. Saari, to deny the unpaid leave request, from Nana Pirhonen, Instructional Aide. The request for unpaid leave did not follow contract language. Motion carried 7-0.
D. Superintendent Derocher informed the Board that he had received a letter of resignation from Ms. Bobbie Champion from hers Title VII Instructional Aide position. No action necessary.
E. Superintendent Derocher reviewed the fall 2009 student enrollment numbers. No action necessary.
F. Superintendent Derocher reviewed the 2009 ACT scores. No action necessary.
G. The Board set the following goals for the Superintendent:
1. Continue to improve and provide a safe school environment.
2. Improve facilities appearance.
3. Improve MEAP and MME test scores.
4. Stabilize budget.
No action necessary.
H. Motion by M. Renaldi, supported by V. Paulson, to approve the one year unpaid leave of absence request from Tom Cody a Custodian. Motion carried 7-0.
154. Public Comment:
RaeAnn Loy inquired about a letter she had sent to President Rice. President Rice informed Ms. Loy he had received her letter and would share it with all the Board members.
Dawn Schuhknecht spoke about the 5th grade classroom size and voiced concern over lack of homework received by her 5th grade daughter Valerie. She asked her daughter Valerie Schuhknecht to address the Board. Valerie stated that she got bumped a lot in her classroom. Dawn Schuhknecht also requested that all students watch the speech on education given by President Obama.
Coleen Allen stated that Julie Peterson, Lakeview School Principal, has been doing a great job and since she was hired staff morale has improved.
155. Other Business:
Superintendent Derocher reminded the Board about CBA classes offered through MARESA. No action necessary.
156. President Rice adjourned the meeting at 8:05 p.m.
Dave Rice, President Fae Collins, Secretary