Negaunee Public Schools is accepting Schools of Choice program applications from non-resident students for the 2nd trimester/2nd semester of the 2023-2024 school year from October 30 – November 10, 2023 for Lakeview Elementary, and January 3 – January 18, 2024 for Negaunee Middle School and Negaunee High School. The Schools of Choice program application is available on our website, in all NPS school buildings, and at the Administrative Office at 101 S. Pioneer Ave, Negaunee. Per section 105/105c of the State Aid Act, any student residing in Marquette and Alger counties, as well as all
contiguous counties, may apply for enrollment. Schools of Choice program enrollment is unlimited in all programs in grades JK-4th at Lakeview Elementary, 5th -8th at Negaunee Middle School, and in 9th -12th grades at Negaunee High School, including Negaunee Public Schools online courses. Students must be enrolled no later than Friday November 17, 2023 (LV)/January 26, 2024 (NMS, NHS) for Schools of Choice consideration.
Any non-resident application for the 2 nd semester/trimester of the 2023-2024 school year that is submitted after November 10, 2023 (LV)/January 18, 2024 (NMS, NHS) will be subject to an approved release from the student’s district of residence prior to enrollment. Non-resident enrollment
is subject to verification of information provided on the enrollment application.
To access complete information on the Schools of Choice program, please refer to NPS Board Policy. This information can be found on our website under District Information — Board of Education — Board Policy — Board Policy 5113. Some important features of this program are listed below.
- Transportation to and from school must be provided by the parent.
- Enrollment priority shall be given to siblings and to other school age children who reside in the same household of a non-resident student already admitted under this program.
- Students suspended or expelled from his/her home district will generally not be admitted to Negaunee.
- Transfer of academic credit from another school will be evaluated and determined by Negaunee Public School administration.
- Athletic Participation Notice: Please note that according to Michigan High School Athletic Association policy, newly enrolled, non-resident students at the high school level are ineligible to participate in athletics until they are deemed eligible by the MHSAA and high school athletic director.
More information about Negaunee Public Schools is available upon request. We would be happy to provide a tour of our facilities and answer any questions you may have about becoming a non-resident student. Please contact Superintendent Dan Skewis at (906) 475-4157 for more information.