The Schools of Choice program application is available on our website, in all NPS school buildings, and at the Administrative Office at 101 S. Pioneer Ave, Negaunee. Per section 105/105c of the State Aid Act, any student residing in Marquette and Alger counties, as well as all contiguous counties, may apply for enrollment. Schools of Choice program enrollment is unlimited in all programs in grades ECSE-4th at Lakeview Elementary, 5th-8th at Negaunee Middle School, and in 9th-12th at Negaunee High School, including Irontown Virtual online courses. Please see the current news release link for specific application dates and enrollment deadlines for each school building.
To access complete information on the Schools of Choice program, please refer to NPS Board Policy. This information can be found on our website under District Information — Board of Education — Board Policy — Board Policy 5113. Some important features of this program are listed below.
- Transportation to and from school must be provided by the parent.
- Enrollment priority shall be given to siblings and to other school age children who reside in the same household of a non-resident student already admitted under this program.
- Students suspended or expelled from his/her home district will generally not be admitted to Negaunee.
- Transfer of academic credit from another school will be evaluated and determined by Negaunee Public School administration.
- Athletic Participation Notice: Please note that according to Michigan High School Athletic Association policy, newly enrolled, non-resident students at the high school level are ineligible to participate in athletics until they are deemed eligible by the MHSAA and high school athletic director.
We would be happy to provide a tour of our facilities and answer any questions you may have about becoming a non-resident student. Please contact Superintendent Dan Skewis at (906) 475-4157 for more information.